Puntland Y-peer Network is a youth led-local organization which is fully registered with national authorities and has since acquired membership of Global Youth Peer Education Network. Y-peer aims to promote healthy life styles among young people and to empower them at different levels through peer to peer approach.
Y-peer believes that volunteerism is a tool for positive youth development that enhances a sense of solidarity, trust, hope and giving back to the community. We believe that volunteerism promotes a sense of empowerment and connection to the community and is a unique opportunity for the youth to enrich their personal and professional growth and to prepare them for the labor market.
Y-PEER is seeking to roll out a volunteer programme in partnership with UNFPA aimed at giving opportunity to youth to learn and practice important skills used in work place such as teamwork, knowledge building and capacity building. The successful volunteers will be enrolled in mentorship programme, receive trainings on thematic area (Youth, GBV/Gender and Reproductive health), and engage in community development programmes implemented by Puntland Y-peer with the support of UNFPA.
- Duration of Volunteerism
The volunteer assignment is part time and will be for an initial period of two years and is subject to performance and overall engagement.
- Task description
Overall, the trained volunteers will conduct youth-focused community outreach activities and contribute to the national youth events including commemorations of national youth day and international youth day in partnership with line ministries, civil society organizations, institutions and organized community groups. The volunteer’s program targets Youth across Nugaal region in Puntland state of Somalia
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Puntland Y-peer Executive Director, the volunteers will carry out the following tasks:
- Reproductive health rights including HIV prevention and AIDS stigma reduction, STIs prevention, ending all forms of gender based Violence including FGM and early marriage
- Participate in Y-peer led youth against FGM and child marriage awareness campaign at IDP camps
- Participate in peer to peer activities related to youth and adolescent
- Support and participate in organizing trainings for existing youth and community networks
- Assist in organizing creative social media campaigns and awareness raising activities on covid19, FGM/GBV with the support of the programme team
- Proactively identify, report and prevent domestic violence and other forms of violence against women and girls
- Participate in trainings on prevention and peace building promotion engagement for youth and women.
- Support and take part in commemoration events on youth at the national and regional level
- Explore new Initiatives and ideas on Youth, peace and Security across Somalia
- Engage with fellow youth in Puntland to support and identify the vulnerable youth in the community and submit their priority needs to Y-peer management team
- Assist Y-peer to spread verified and accurate public service advisory information to help protect the community from covid-19, dispel community level myths, Stigma and discrimination
- Perform any other tasks as and when required
- Must be at the age of 15 –24 years’ old
- At least intermediate school educational level or equivalent experience, profession or skill.
- Fluency in Somali language is mandatory, proficiency in English is an added advantage
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the values and principles of volunteering.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment for volunteering and respect diversity
- Willingness to work with people and local organizations to draw upon the synergies between expert solutions and local knowledge.
- Ability to adjust in challenging work assignments and sometimes remote locations,
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision, ability to work with tight deadlines
- Volunteers benefits
- The volunteer initiative program will provide a set of trainings that will result in key and diverse job readiness skills for the youth who will be selected to join the programme.
- As a Y-peer Volunteer you will gain the opportunity to make a real difference in the community by supporting programme/projects where your support is most needed.
- You can expect to be in a volunteering placement that suits your skills and area of interest.
- Volunteers will receive capacity development through coaching, mentoring and formal on-the-job training.
- This is unpaid volunteer assignment
- At the end of the assignment you will receive a certificate of service after serving for at-least 1 year
- Core Values
Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards Y-PEER values.
- How to Apply
If you are interested to join this initiative and match the requirements, please fill out the application form by using this link online https://bit.ly/2NlWTRZ
Submit your application on or before 31st Agust 2020. If you experience any difficulty during application process, please contact 0906224586 or email us on email@example.com